Monday, March 28, 2011

Matthew's England call-up

FOOTBALL-MAD Matthew Barlow will come face-to-face with the biggest names in the game when he strides on to the pitch as a mascot.

The nine-year-old will walk out at the Millennium Stadium with the England team who are playing Wales in a Euro 2012 qualifier today.

Matthew, of Partridge Close, Meir Park, has been counting the days until he meets players such as Frank Lampard and John Terry.

But he admits he is most excited about meeting one Premier League star.

"If I could choose anyone to walk out with it would be Wayne Rooney," he said.

"He is my favourite."

Matthew has been told he can keep his England kit and will also be taken on a tour of the stadium.

The St Filumena's Primary School, Caverswall, pupil added: "My mum has bought me some orange trainers so she can spot me on television. "I was really excited when dad told me I'd won. I have told all my friends and teachers at school."

Matthew has already been a mascot for his favourite team, Stoke City, on two occasions.

He walked out alongside the likes of Jamie Pennant and James Beattie at the Britannia Stadium.

He said: "I think it will be even better this time."

Matthew won this chance after his dad Lee entered him into a national competition.

The 45-year-old accountant said: "I filled in the form and I never thought he'd win.

"He told me he'd love to be a mascot for England so I was so happy for him when I was contacted.

"At first I thought it was my mates winding me up but when I knew it was real I couldn't wait to tell him.

"He told me he wanted to be a mascot for England at Wembley but he'll be going there anyway to see Stoke so it's an extra bonus now.

"I can't wait to see him sing the National Anthem with the players."

Matthew has two tickets to the game so his mum, brother and sister will be at home watching him on the TV.

Mum Maria, a 41-year-old teaching assistant, said: "Matthew can't wait. He has been so excited he's been up squealing at 5am. I thought he was going to explode at one point."

The competition, which was jointly organised by McDonald's and the English FA, landed 11 football fans the opportunity to become a mascot for the day.

The youngsters will be walking out alongside the England players when they face Wales for the 100th time.



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503368/s/13a4ca88/l/0L0Sthisisstaffordshire0O0Cnews0CMatthew0Es0EEngland0Carticle0E33756650Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

South Korea Employment law Liverpool US military Motoring Guantánamo Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment