Thursday, March 24, 2011

Couple retire after 36 years at newsagents

THEY have been part of their community since the mid-1970s.

And Terry and Kath O'Kane say they enjoy nothing more than seeing familiar faces in their grocery shop.

But the couple have now decided it is time to call it a day and close their shop after 36 years.

T, C and K O'Kane in Fox Grove, Basford, will shut for good this week.

The couple, who have four children and five grandchildren, are now looking forward to retirement.

They say they plan to make the most of their extra time by spending it with their family.

Mr O'Kane, 66, who is originally from Beeston and attended Beeston Fields School, said he had enjoyed every minute of running the shop.

Speaking about setting it up, he said: "We were in Leicester at the time and then my wife was homesick and she said she wanted to go back to Nottingham so I said I don't mind as long as we get our own business and we picked this one.

"I'd not done a shop before so it was totally different but the people around here were very nice and they welcomed us."

He added: "It was easy really, within time we just slipped into it and then we've had 36 wonderful years. I'm choked up just thinking about it."

As well as running a successful business, Mr O'Kane, who had previously worked as a metal machinist for Rolls Royce and in factory management, has also enjoyed getting involved with the community.

The pair have especially been keen to help out some of the older people in their area.

"I've really enjoyed all of it but I've particularly enjoyed going to the old folks' complex that's been built at the bottom and we've taken to looking after the old people down there. We take them things and sit with them if they are sick and I've found that really rewarding," said Mr O'Kane.

"I think I would keep going but my kids are adamant that it's time for us to stop.

"I didn't think I'd be anywhere for as long as we've been here but we've both really enjoyed it and it's a wrench to leave it but I think the time has come."

Mrs O'Kane, 63, who is originally from Kimberley, will also miss the shop.

"It's going to be very strange not getting up in the morning to go," she said. "We will miss a lot of the people because we've made a lot of friends around the area.

"The highlight for me has definitely been seeing all the people and helping out where we can."

Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503354/s/13969652/l/0L0Sthisisnottingham0O0Cnews0CCouple0Eretire0E360Eyears0Enewsagents0Carticle0E33653950Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Dolomites US supreme court Tesco Global economy James Beattie Madeleine McCann

No comments:

Post a Comment