Sunday, February 27, 2011

Councillors asked: 'Where were you for vote on budget cuts?'

SEVEN councillors who either left a meeting early or didn't attend have explained why they missed the crucial vote on Stoke-on-Trent City Council's budget.

The authority approved a controversial budget which includes a �35.6 million package of cuts, including two swimming pools, two libraries, two care homes, the City Farm and the Willfield Community Centre.

Councillors voted 40-13 in favour of the budget proposals.

Three of the missing councillors gave their apologies before the meeting.

Labour councillor Jean Edwards has been on long-term sick and was not well enough to attend the council chamber, while Sarah Hill, also Labour, had suffered a family bereavement.

Unaligned councillor Roy Naylor had to stay home to look after his wife, who has not been well, but did manage to follow the meeting online.

He said: "I would have voted against it.

"I think it's a totally ill-thought out budget which hits too many people."

Councillor Gavin Webb, of the Libertarian Party, also didn't attend the meeting, but failed to send his apologies.

He said: "I needed to work on my business. I'm coming to the end of my term, I'm standing down in May.

"From previous experience of budget meetings, everyone says how horrified they are, but then they vote for it anyway."

Of the remaining three councillors, Barbara Beeston and Rita Dale, both with the City Independents, left together before the vote.

Mrs Beeston said: "I was against the budget, I left my vote with someone else.

"I had to take Rita Dale home. She wasn't well and had been struggling with terrible pain in her shoulders."

Mrs Dale said: "I went to the hospital on Tuesday, I have got two frozen shoulders and had to have injections in both of them.

"I did manage to sit through a couple of hours, but it got too much.

"I would have voted against it, but it wouldn't have made a difference.

"Labour have got such a large majority at the moment it makes it very difficult for us."

City Independents councillor Randy Conteh said: "I had another appointment which I couldn't get out of.

"There was a vote to move for an earlier budget vote, but unfortunately it was defeated. I would probably have voted for the budget.

"I made the submission regarding the Merit School in Penkhull, so I would have voted for the budget which was going to save the Merit.

"I'm fully supportive of the concept of Shelton Pool, but we just haven't got the money."

Even if all seven councillors had voted against the budget, it would have had no effect on the vote.

But Staffordshire county councillor Christina Jebb, (Liberal Democrat) who has spoken out against city council proposals to axe Stanley Head Outdoor Education Centre, said: "I'm disappointed councillors didn't vote although I'm sure many of them had honourable reasons.

"All councillors have a responsibility for setting and maintaining the budget.

"It is the council's budget, not the administration's."

Want to offer readers a discount voucher? Claim your listing on our business directory



Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503368/s/12fd1f01/l/0L0Sthisisstaffordshire0O0Cnews0Cvote0Ecuts0Carticle0E32715230Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Northern Ireland Tony Cottee Top 10s Christina Aguilera City breaks Labour

No comments:

Post a Comment