Friday, February 25, 2011

Blind man threatens action after Subway refuse him service

A BLIND man wants to take food chain Subway to court after he was refused service at a city centre branch because he had a guide dog.

Joe Loughrey, 46, of Bramcote, said he was "absolutely devastated" after being told he and his dog were not allowed inside the store.

"I've had the same problem with the store before," he said. "I can't believe this is happening again."

He said he was refused service at the store in Long Row on Tuesday and once before in 2009.

"I said it was a guide dog and showed my dog's ID," he said. "The member of staff said he knew it was a guide dog but insisted I wasn't allowed in."

In an e-mail to Subway, he wrote: "On the previous occasion you promised training and gave me your word I would not face this level of discrimination again. I feel totally humiliated."

A spokesman for Subway said it had all been a "genuine mistake".

She added: "Staff members quickly realised their mistake and tried to tell Mr Loughrey, but unfortunately they could not find him after he'd left.

"He just was not being co-operative by that stage."

However, Mr Loughrey said: "I showed him my dog's ID, he accepted it was a guide dog and made the decision not to serve me.

"I'm taking them to court."

A spokesman for Guide Dogs for the Blind said restaurants and food shops often referred to hygiene issues.

But the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health Officers confirmed that there was no conflict with hygiene laws.

Source: http://rss.feedsportal.com/c/32715/f/503354/s/12f662d3/l/0L0Sthisisnottingham0O0Cnews0CBlind0Eman0Ethreatens0Eaction0ESubway0Erefuse0Eservice0Carticle0E3266940A0Edetail0Carticle0Bhtml/story01.htm

Facebook United Nations Frank Lampard Shaun Bartlett Botswana Work & careers

No comments:

Post a Comment