Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Nottingham Post letters, Tuesday, 28th December, 2010

I WAS sent a British woodland tree to plant. Armed with a small hand trowel, a short cane, a handful of peat and the one-foot high sapling in a corrugated tube with a tie attached, I took off for my daily stroll around Attenborough Nature Reserve.

Looking for a suitable place to plant this magnificent specimen proved harder than I first thought possible, as recently a lot of trees have been chopped down, open land demolished and heavy vehicle tracks were everywhere.

As I was passing a new plantation, I thought that this was the ideal place to plant it as it was unlikely to be disturbed in the near future, and as look would have it there was a small hole in the netting next to a seat, so kneeling down I placed my hands through the netting, dug a hole in the ground and planted the sapling, tied my cane to the corrugated cover and fastened the cane to the netting, then having covered the root with the peat set off to complete my journey.

A few days later I was passing the seat and noticed that where my tree was meant to be was a laminated notice fastened to the netting, saying that this was not the place for memorial plants and had removed it and planted it elsewhere, and to call in to the nature centre for more details.

I thought OK so it has been planted in another location, but as I walked on I began to ponder this situation.

I had planted this tree in the countryside as requested and I couldn't see anything wrong with that, as this was a nature reserve, but what really bothered me was if this was a memorial plant, I, myself, would have been most upset at some unfeeling person digging up the plant just because they wanted to, not giving any thought to the distress they were causing by this action.

For goodness sake, where is a better place to grow a woodland tree than a nature reserve?

These are petty restrictions, especially when you have memorial seats, a memorial hide and a memorial pasture.

J SIMMONS Allendale Avenue Attenborough

SO we read of Liberals preparing to abstain, an action taken simply to say "I did not vote for..."

But, with the possible exception of politicians from Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales abstaining from taking decisions on the increase in fees for students in England, the abstention route is frequently the path taken by cowards not wishing to be seen to rock the boat.

It should not be an option.

The graduate tax is, we are told, fair – only requiring repayment if income exceeds �21,000 and a write-off period of 30 years.

We are informed (Post, November 27) that the average income for Rushcliffe, Gedling, Ashfield and Newark and Sherwood districts of Notts are �23,920, �20,774 �18,632 and �18,746 respectively.

Students are motivated to study believing that their earning potential is greater than that of non-graduates.

So assuming that the average individual is not a graduate, it could be that a graduate joins the labour force on a rate of remuneration 10% above the non-graduate, equating the average income over a 40-year period to the figures quoted by government of �100,000 for the lifetime difference a graduate should receive over a non-graduate.

Transposing this minimum of 10% per annum to the examples given and it would appear that graduates employed throughout all four areas will exceed the �21,000 cut in figure and that all graduates will have to repay the debt of tuition loans, of up to �27,000, which will seriously hinder any aspiration of home ownership, given that an income �40,000 is required for a 90% mortgage on the average priced house in the East Midlands.

With little or no contribution from the corporate bodies who utilise the graduates, it is left to individuals to decide whether or not to become a student, which will deter many from embarking upon a route laden with debt.

PAUL KEY Castleton Avenue Arnold

CAN someone from the council please tell me why we cannot have the pavement salted/gritted?

I realise they cannot do all the pavements, but surely certain ones deserve priority.

The one I am talking about is in front of this sheltered housing accommodation in Green Lane, Clifton.

It is a virtual ice rink and the residents do not go out unless they have to, but sometimes this is necessary.

I would be grateful if my question could be answered and more than grateful if the pavement I am talking about could be gritted, and so will many other local people.

C BOSTOCK Whiteways Court Clifton

SO, once again, politicians have misled the voters.

I refer to the Pinky and Perky government this time. First we have Nick Clegg going back on his promise of no increase for student fees, causing demonstrations by students around the country.

Then we have for the Tories with justice secretary, none other than Ken Clarke, going soft on knife crime and, in fact, crime full stop.

So we have two politicians stating falsehoods to us, the voter. Is it any wonder many of us don't even vote at all.

We have been lied to for a long time by these so-called human beings and it has to stop.

I wouldn't like to guess the damage that has been done by these Fib-Dems, we will know soon enough at the next General Election.

Maybe Nick Clegg will rue the day he decided to share power with the Tories, one big mistake I fear. You cannot do a deal with the devil and come out on top.

I have no idea if I will vote in the next general election, but I know if I do it won't be for the Fib-Dems or Tories.

I am not a student, nor do I agree with this Pinky and Perky government and, but why do the Tories dislike the poor and working class, and why has Ken Clarke gone soft on knife crime?

C ENGLAND Soudan Drive The Meadows



Shola Ameobi Soap opera Weather Caribbean Alps Lake District

No comments:

Post a Comment